Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Water collection from air conditioner condensation

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Quote Originally Posted by RossA View Post
    Also, would it even matter if you are just using the water for watering plants or a vegetable garden?
    I use the condensation from my a/c to water my garden. It makes about 5gal per day. I am curious if this water is going to make my veggies toxic?

I wouldn't think so, exposure to sunlight and outside temps probably would take care of the virus's and bacteria mention earlier.
    Preparing so that I may live better today and post shtf.

Once upon a time (a long time ago) as a kid I tried it. It's about as nasty tasting as something posing as water could be. We've used it on a garden for years, but I wouldn't try drinking it again. Even filtered and treated.

I believe if the unit is clean, the water will be clean.

I have a Haier, free standing unit in my bedroom.

AC,fan and dehumidifier.

My plan is to boil, then use my First Need purifier if I need to drink it.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolverteer View Post
    For those people who do not have a well, and if their county or city water is disabled for whatever reason. If you have a generator, windmill or solar panels with batteries that will run your air conditioner, and if you live in a humid state like I do in Florida, you can collect plenty of enough water for drinking, cooking, manually flushing toilets and perhaps even a sponge bath by catching the run off water from your air conditioner's condensation run off pipe. Here's a video I made today that shows this working.

http://good-times.webshots.com/video...99763970ssTkYM
    You have that backwards. First you wash with it (yourself or your dishes), then you use it to flush the toilet!

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
    If you remember "Legionnaires Disease", it was discovered that the disease came from contaminated water from the roof top A/C units at that hotel in Philadelphia, Pa.
    True, but if the disease is not in the air, then you can't catch it.

Sort of like Swine Flu -- it went from pigs to humans, and then spread through us. But if you have a pig, it does not automatically follow that it has Swine Flu or that it can infect you.

As for drinking it -- if you plan to filter and disinfect all other types of water, then why not this water, as well?

The Watermill from Kelowna BC takes the water from thin air concept and turns it into safe drinking water via UV purification. The device is scheduled for sale a few months after TEOTWAWKI this fall. Lol... spring release.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

Just a side note: Water collected in this manner should always be purified before use. The same as if you were going to drink out of a stream, lake, ect. There are many diseases (Legionnaires Disease being one off the top of my head) that are contractable from drinking unpurified water.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrguns2003 View Post
    I think it's a great idea no matter what. And I'm gonna do it!
    Even if it's to water plants or what not. In the extreme situation it could
    come in handy but then again, an extreme situation would prolly result in
    no electric therefore no AC.
    I'm not sure how useful this solution would be.

If you do it to be "green" and conserve water, you'd do a much better job at it by just turning down the thermostat a single degree. It's hard to justify one "green" benefit while creating a monster carbon footprint to get there.

If you do it in preparation for when the SHTF, then it seems wasteful. It would require an enormous amount of energy that might be better used elsewhere.

If you're just looking for an alternate source of water, you would be better off with a well. Heck, you could probably pump water from miles away and use a fraction of the energy that an A/C consumes. Besides, if there is enough humidity where you live to create significant amounts of water out of the air, then it's probably the same type of environment where it rains often enough to survive. Even during a drought, if you live in a humid area, there has to be water nearby. You just can't have humidity without water being in the air or on the ground. If you live in a dry region, well then you just won't be getting much water out of this system.

Is there any SHTF scenario where this would be an ideal solution?
    Last edited by fuzzydude; 07-16-2009 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Punctuation error.

You can get Legionarre's disease from inhaling the infected droplets. It grows when water gets above a certain temperature and sits, A/C systems are what usually brews it.

ONe major problem with drinking water from air conditioners and dehumidifiers. That problem is lead solder. Drinking water systems use silver solder.