Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Water collection from air conditioner condensation

I wonder if anyone will be running their A/C if the water goes off.... To me, they're linked. You know...electricity and water pressure.

As for daily use during the hot summer months when the S has not HTF, groovy idea for sure. Same as reclaiming gray water for watering the garden and trees.

I think it's a great idea no matter what. And I'm gonna do it!
    Even if it's to water plants or what not. In the extreme situation it could
    come in handy but then again, an extreme situation would prolly result in
    no electric therefore no AC.
    My pipe is rather low to the ground so I might have to re figure something to slip under it to catch the excess.
    Thanx for the idea Revolverteer.
    BTW: I guess you should invest in a couple of big drums to store water in now. An hour to fill that gallon is pretty damn good.
    I just might have to do the same.
    Oh ya: If we should catch enough to store in big drums, should we add some chlorine tabs in it to keep the skeeters and slime down? What would you recommend?

Default water from air

Many companies are currently marketing these "water from air" machines. They are simply dehumidifiers with built in filtration systems. They only require two things to work; humidity and electricity.

I have friends who actually collect the condensate in a bucket with a 12 volt bilge pumpt to pump it to dip irrigate their garden.

Wow.. this is a great idea.. even if simply used to water flowers, garden.. what have you. Living in Florida there is no danger of running out of humidity... so.. Thanks a lot for the tip!

My basement dehumidifier fills 3 G in about 1-2 days during the summer and 4-5 days in the winter, this is a good source for SHTF water as long as you have a reliable power source.

Default Be carefull

Either method will produce plenty of water but take extra care in filtering. You don't just have contaminants in the air but also built up on the a-coil over time.

What Bingo mentioned about the Legionnaire's Disease is a real threat. Condensate from AC units should not be messed with IMHO. The possibility of contamination vs the benefit of getting water from humid air is just not worth it in my opinion. I do not mean to be disrespectful, but I have lived in states where water is a concern, so I know where you guys' heads are at, I just think its too risky.

I guess I don't understand the difference between Legionnaire's Disease and other bacteria/viruses. If you can filter the dirty water from a ditch or other source, then treat it with bleach, why couldn't you do the same thing with the condensate from an AC?
    Also, would it even matter if you are just using the water for watering plants or a vegetable garden?

Also, in Florida it rains 10 mo out of the year (June - Oct- it rains ALOT), Set out those rain barrels- however many you set out, they'll all fill up.