Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to build a Cabin, that I can build myself??

How about a debris hut?

Default a cabin

depending on whether you want to build it on your property where you intend to spend the rest of your bug out time after evacuation or build it where you are now...i've seen a great video of a cabin being built by hand by one man with hand tools... its called a Place in the Wilderness and its a true story ... there are other ways to build a shelter but for a longer duration look into this and also go to library and read books on cabin building there are many ways to get it done with only a few people.....my grandfather and his brother in law built one and its still standing,, they were sposedly in their 70's when they erected it.. it can be done if you can visualize it... keep in touch... good luck..

I think that you could just learn how to build from a book and hammer up 4 walls and a roof in a few weekends . I like a building that would be 18x 20 a full foundation under it would add a lot of space for little money . Full time living would be hard in a smaller area . I think you could just rent a new husband to help you build it. Three people working together get twice as much work done then two . I would love to help out on a project like this .
    I would love to live in a small cabin near good fishing and hunting (very remote) but what would i do with the wife and kids .

Quote Originally Posted by wellbuilt View Post
    I think that you could just learn how to build from a book and hammer up 4 walls and a roof in a few weekends . I like a building that would be 18x 20 a full foundation under it would add a lot of space for little money . Full time living would be hard in a smaller area . I think you could just rent a new husband to help you build it. Three people working together get twice as much work done then two . I would love to help out on a project like this .
    I would love to live in a small cabin near good fishing and hunting (very remote) but what would i do with the wife and kids .
    Take them with you.

http://www.pacificdomes.com/shelter_domes.html

Something my wife and I are kicking around. They are cheeeaaaapp.

get in touch with your local high school shop teacher. Alot of time they will do things like this for materials and lunch . Its worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by silvergramma View Post
    depending on whether you want to build it on your property where you intend to spend the rest of your bug out time after evacuation or build it where you are now...i've seen a great video of a cabin being built by hand by one man with hand tools... its called a Place in the Wilderness and its a true story ... there are other ways to build a shelter but for a longer duration look into this and also go to library and read books on cabin building there are many ways to get it done with only a few people.....my grandfather and his brother in law built one and its still standing,, they were sposedly in their 70's when they erected it.. it can be done if you can visualize it... keep in touch... good luck..

That guy is a genius and a master carpenter. He carved a complex door locking mechanism and spoon (in addition to the whole cabin). I would be surprised if there were even 1 or 2 people active on this forum that could do that quality of work.

Here is another option I have considered. http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green...struction.aspx. Cheap, easy to find materials, natural climate control, low tech, and potentially bullet-proof.
    Last edited by dolomiti; 04-08-2009 at 07:37 AM.
    All men are equal before God: wisdom, talents, and virtue are the only difference between them

I really like straw bale homes, and their savings in the winter with heating costs.

My husbands says I have some weird hippy ideas. But I used to love to look at my dad's old Mother Earth Mags when I was younger.

So anyone have ideas about insulation with the earthbag homes? Sure they are a heck of a lot of hard work, but it's something I could do my self very easily. I move 4-500 lb people are all day, so 50lbs of dirt is like nothing.

Anyway I was wondering about doing the earthbag covered with stucco of cement (will have to investigate to see which is the best for humid, hot, summers.) and then on the inside a layer of cotton insulation covered by chicken wire or something of those lines with stucco or t-1(or whatever it is) siding over it?

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think you have to insulate a earthbag home since the thermal mass will keep the home cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Plus, so long your windows are properly sealed you will have less drafts, unlike a stick built home. Have you ever taken an electrical plug cover off an outside wall in the winter and hold your hand in front of it, lots of cold air coming in there. I would just go with radiant heat in a nice earthen floor and be good to go.