Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Last resort, bug out cabin in the works (PICS!)

Quote Originally Posted by X-cop View Post
    i have to get some land

Thinikng along the IL border

Slightly warmer more farmland.
    Stay on the Wisconsin side of the border. Illinois has REALLY messed up gun laws, and it is only going to get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by X-cop View Post
    i have to get some land

Thinikng along the IL border

Slightly warmer more farmland.
    Expensive area land wise... along the UP is safer, more remote and cheaper to boot

If you think relatives are going to be coming you could try to cache all you food and supplies then bury it some where people wouldn't look. Then they would all go there and think that there's nothing there and hopefully leave.

This summer my parents are going to tear down their lake cabin in the northern part of my state, and build a long-term retirement home there. It's near, but not in, a small town. I figure it'll probably take them a year or so to build. So that will be my bug-out place. Until then, it will be get out of town while the getting is good.
    Last edited by EMH1701; 04-12-2009 at 10:25 AM.

Ok I read the whole thread and couldnt find a a post that listed the cost.
    Not trying to pry into personel business but I own land and am considering something similar and just wondering what I am looking at financially.

hell ya. break it down for us. . .

without land how much $$$ did you put in?

Default Cost

I'm assuming you mean me, PyroUSC. I would estimate the cost, as of today at about $10,000. I doubt someone could do it that cheap to buy all new materials. Keep in mind I work at a home improvement center and have access to culled lumber and other materials which I can get at major discounts. I saved up a mountain of lumber and then we still had to buy some new stuff.

By the way, here are some recent pics. I put up railings and screened in the porch.

very nice. good luck to you.

How far away is that structure in the upper left hand corner of the first pic?
    It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to [he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any life-threatening attack made upon him with a deadly weapon Gibson v KY,34SW936

It is about 3/4 mile away across the valley. There is a house being built there. They did some MAJOR excavation on the hillside so it may look bigger in the pic than it really is.