Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Biggest solar storm in years races toward Earth

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    me either. I used to be that way, panicked by every rumor of impending disaster, but over the last 4 years seen many predictions pass without so much as a whimper.

not saying solar storms aren't something to be concerned with, but broad based general prepping covers lots of contingent disasters including that one.
    I agree that we shouldn't get all worked up over every solar event, but situational awareness - knowing what's going on in the world around you - is an important part of being prepared. I pay attention to what the sun's doing because IMO it's one of the more realistic threats we face... moreso than a man-made EMP, anyway. If we do see an OK-now-its-time-to-freak-out level flare, I'll have my vehicles gassed up and a few runs in to the store done before the MM and general public probably even pick up on it. Every little advantage counts.

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    me either. I used to be that way, panicked by every rumor of impending disaster, but over the last 4 years seen many predictions pass without so much as a whimper.

not saying solar storms aren't something to be concerned with, but broad based general prepping covers lots of contingent disasters including that one.
    Agreed... while it pays to have awareness, and maybe use special "alerts" as a reminder to make the rounds and check your preps and contingency plans... if you're waiting for an alert to get serious about getting ready you are taking the wrong approach IMHO.

Make prepping something you do every day even when there are not "consequences" looming over you, like we do when brushing our teeth, changing our oil, or managing our cholesterol. You do it for preventative reasons, not reactive reasons. You worry a little bit every day, just enough to maintain, rather than put it all off to the last minute and work yourself into a stew on that "big" day.

I keep an eye on solar storms, but I don't get worked up over every one. If there's a really big one it's likely we'll have a little warning and may be able to stow some gear that we normall have deployed which could thus be saved from damage. But things like having candles on hand, lamps and oil, making sure the generators are in working order, having food and fuel - these are not "last minute" things like unplugging the TV and computer would be. Those are things you should have handled anyway, "just because". Maybe the latest "solar storm" alert is a good reason to do a walk around and make sure you know where everything is and can get to it, just in case. But it's not a good reason to run out and run up the credit card buying a lot of preps that seem "wasted" the day after the storm passes with no effects. That's a good way to develop Y2K burnout, what they call "prep fatigue". Don't let that happen to you!
    The one thing worse than defeat is surrender.

Make prepping something you do every day even when there are not "consequences" looming over you, like we do when brushing our teeth, changing our oil, or managing our cholesterol. You do it for preventative reasons, not reactive reasons. You worry a little bit every day, just enough to maintain, rather than put it all off to the last minute and work yourself into a stew on that "big" day.

I keep an eye on solar storms, but I don't get worked up over every one. If there's a really big one it's likely we'll have a little warning and may be able to stow some gear that we normall have deployed which could thus be saved from damage. But things like having candles on hand, lamps and oil, making sure the generators are in working order, having food and fuel - these are not "last minute" things like unplugging the TV and computer would be. Those are things you should have handled anyway, "just because". Maybe the latest "solar storm" alert is a good reason to do a walk around and make sure you know where everything is and can get to it, just in case. But it's not a good reason to run out and run up the credit card buying a lot of preps that seem "wasted" the day after the storm passes with no effects. That's a good way to develop Y2K burnout, what they call "prep fatigue". Don't let that happen to you!
    well said.
    I also watch Spaceweather , but honestly prepping every day a little bit at a time is the way to go. Not saying in the onset of an x22, I wouldn't go tank the vehicles to keep them topped off, make sure I have filled my spare gas cans, and put emergency radios in Faraday cage ....... wait - I already do all that now.

Guess all I would do is unplug some power cables and turn off the house main till it passes and hope the grid is still there when its over.

Well THAT was a big disappointment!
    For every gun you sell and do not replace, a nice kitten is placed into a woodchipper.