Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got your cocoa yet?

Default Got your cocoa yet?

Given the threat of cocoa extinction I bought 3 cans of cocoa the other day, no inflated price just the normal $2.59.

There is going to be a cocoa extinction?

picked up some cocoa and two of the huge bags of chocolate chips from Costco...I am not sure I can do without chocolate, and I KNOW the wife couldn't..so it's more of a domestic survival tool for me

ivory coast in turmoil doesn't make news over Egypt's plight, but chocoholics should pay attention! Most of our cocoa and chocolate products start out in Ivory Coast..... we have been storing cocoa for quite a while now, think we are good to go.
    The path of least resistance often leads to the point of no return.

what ? no stress management???? yah I got some cocoa about two years ago.. in tins and also prepackaged for hot cocoa and some chips of varying usages..

I noticed that too, and I've been meaning to pick some up....only thing is, I wasn't sure if cocoa has a decent shelf life? Let me know guys

I get razed all the time from my sister for the amount of cocoa I'm storing. I ordered a bag in the bulk foods section at Winco thinking all of the bulk foods come in 15-25lb bags or boxes just like other items. Well was I surprised to get a 50lb bag LOL. I think I have enough for awhile. I've stored cocoa for 15 years without a problem. It stores well if you keep it in a cool, dry and dark place. Chocolate it's my drug of choice. Maybe I'll go order another box.

pioneerwoman, would you put the coca in a number 10 can with an oxygen absorber? May I ask how much the 50 lb bag was from Winco? Does it pay to store coca beans?

I also wonder how long chocolate chips would last in a can with oxygen absorbers.
    Last edited by Lone Kimono; 02-02-2011 at 07:05 PM.

I've been buying chocolate/cocoa as well. The last time I bought chocolate chips the shelf life (or buy before date) was a year. So in a Mylar bag or other storage method should get you another year i would think.
    The difference between stupidity and ignorance is that ignorance is a choice.