Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: What will you be driving WSHTF?

(Working on getting a M-1009 CUCV sometime very soon.)

They built those not very far from where I live in WI. At Oshkosh Truck. They are not very comfortable. But O.T. did a lot of structural and durability tweaks to get it to mil-spec. For one the diffs are sealed up real nice. A buddy of mine had one I loved that truck.

I don't know how many times i told him he couldn't do this or that with it. Or your gonna mess that up. And how many times I said I wasn't gonna help pull him outta something i thought he was getting into. Lets just say i never had to pull him out of anywhere and he always made it home from the mud-hole. Good Tough Beater!
    Last edited by creteman71; 03-26-2012 at 03:05 AM.

When the Lamb opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature say, "Come and see!" Then another horse came out, a fiery red one. Its rider was given power to take peace from the earth and to make men slay each other. To him was given a large sword.
    The Safety is OFF!

Quote Originally Posted by Tantal View Post
    Nice. There is no better vehicle than the Land Cruiser. I've got a supercharged '96 TLC with factory lockers and a lifted '95 4x4 Tacoma. The plan is for my mom, wife, and 3 kids to take the TLC while my dad and I pull rear security in the Taco'.
    Yep, I love my cruiser. It's a 93 with lockers, and I had a 91 that I sold. I also have a 02 TRD Tacoma, and it's a great rig too. I envy that supercharger on your 80!

Default What will you be driving WSHTF?

I'll be driving a 4WD Toyota RAV4 and my wife will be in her Subaru Forester, headed to our bug-out location 120 miles away, where I have a 1986 Toyota 4WD pickup available.

Shreveport, LA for a few more months then the hills of Southern Oregon!

I sold the Jeep Wrangler and just bought a Subaru Outback... You can laugh if you want to but when SHTF fuel is going to be scarce and having an AWD vehicle with enough clearance to handle most forest service roads and still get 30MPG is going to be key. My fuel consumption has just been cut by 1/3. Speed and stealth are key to getting out of town plus if I don't have to stop for fuel for 400 miles I can get way out in the middle of nowhere quick without stopping.

That is what I am guessing when SHTF, I believe that it will be a luxury to have a car at all. All the mudders and offroad built trucks/SUV's will rust away while people will be puttin around on what gas they can find. Of course if you can prepare and store fuel for your gas guzzling vehicle then go right ahead and keep your BOV. But most that live just on what's in their tank day to day should consider an alternative.

Don't steal, the Government hates competition.

A Crown Victoria. Yeah, I know it's not 4x4 but whatever. If I go offroad I'm careful enough to not get stuck. It's built like a tank and I've gone through the mechanics of it with a fine-toothed comb so it's running just fine. It's got a massive trunk for hauling any gear and plenty of room for passengers. Another positive is that the parts for its engine are very common so if it came down to it scavenging parts for it wouldn't be too difficult post-SHTF.
    Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.

My two Black Cadillac's.
    Joe R

Quote Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
    My two Black Cadillac's.
    Joe R
    People will think its the Secret Service and move out of his way!
    “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.”
    Thomas Jefferson

I am the powdered donut KING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
    That is what I am guessing when SHTF, I believe that it will be a luxury to have a car at all. All the mudders and offroad built trucks/SUV's will rust away while people will be puttin around on what gas they can find. Of course if you can prepare and store fuel for your gas guzzling vehicle then go right ahead and keep your BOV. But most that live just on what's in their tank day to day should consider an alternative.
    I believe you're 100% right in that a car will be a luxury. A rarely-used one at that.

With that said, my BOV is designed for just that: to bug out. I want the most capable vehicle I can use to keep me off the main roads and take my gear with me. I have made compromises in power for mileage, but it's fairly capable now and I'll be adding to the capability as I go. My truck lets me store enough that eventually I can be off-grid for months, have a comfortable bed, and have a range of 1000+ mi even loaded (though I'm not there yet, only 600).

Ideally, use your BOV to get out. If things collapse and go post-apocalyptic, find a light discarded vehicle and add a gassification system to it for day-to-day use around the BOL.