Page 1 of 60 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Jobless and living in my truck... (with Pics)

Default Jobless and living in my truck... (with Pics)

I have been waiting for sometime to share information I know. I have been living in my truck for about 6 months now due to a job loss in Ohio where I'm from, I have since moved to South Florida and am now living In my BOV, As an outdoor enthusiast this is easy for me to do, but I think this is a sign of things to come and seeing people living in tents and vehicles everywhere ( remember "hoover towns"?). The "mobile homelessness" is so bad that the cops dont even stop people from doing it anymore.
    I am a professional at what I do, I do not look homeless, I'm just an average guy that has fallen victim to the current economic downturn. Basically I feel like I am camping and I do not consider myself homeless, its a sad fact that I have seen entire families living out of a vehicle who are ill equipped and not accustomed to such inconviences.

Last edited by trooper dan; 01-28-2009 at 11:17 PM.

I take my showers on the beach, and I surf quite often. I am very close to getting a job at a campground in the keys (they let you live there for free) even though it is minimum wage it seems to be the most promising option right now.
    Last edited by trooper dan; 01-28-2009 at 11:17 PM.

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Keep your head up and stay proud. You are doing the best you can, and that is all anyone can ask of you. Most of us are 1 missed paycheck away from being in the same shoes as yourself. Beach, surfing, mountain bike, orange groves. Many would envy your living conditions and lifestyle. Keep us updated on your situation.

Good luck with the job. A campground job is better than nothing. Minimum wage and free space for camping should help keep you fed, at least.

I still have my own job. I hope I don't end up in your situation, because like some others you saw, I would have a family with me.

Well the key to efficiency is.. I do not smoke or drink beer and I dont drive anywhere when I dont have to. I live within walking distance of the beach and guess how much my bills were last month? It was somewhere around 50$ for my cell phone bill. Imagine some people here spend $1400 a month just for an apartment!, I spend much of my money on food, I eat like a king and have fresh healthy foods every single day, believe me I am not suffering, but some people like I said are ill-equipped and dont have any money in the bank. I will take some more recent photos and add more details soon. Questions and comments are welcome
    Last edited by trooper dan; 01-29-2009 at 12:01 AM.

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

What is the 1 thing you have with you that you find most useful? What is the 1 thing that you wish you had with you?

Question:Hey Dan..I used to live in NE Ohio a long time ago...it wasnt good then and I can imagine like now.You know what?I and the ole lady may also be 'in the truck and van' mobile homeless soon enough ourselves.I have a question Dan...how do you buypass 'legalities',like if you have a firearm etc.I also used to live in Florida but dont know ANYONE there now...Id invite you to come to Nevada and stay here but Nevada is 'in the tank' as I write this...so it would be very short lived.

Any ideas for someone who's not lived out of a truck before?
    Answer: good question! with me I have my compound bow with 15 arrows, I was going to bring my ar-7 survival rifle but I figured that I really have nothing to hide but the FL police are asses and I want to avoid pork interference, so I left it at home...but I have 2500 rounds of .22 ammo under the rear seat(trade etc.), I also have a 500,000 volt stun gun and two 4oz. cans of pepper spray, also my edc knives hatchet, saws and machettes. Everything I have is very very legal.

1.my laptop, because it keeps me connected to the civilized world, I run it off of a deep cycle battery w/ a solar panel, I get high speed WIFI internet where I park..LOL.
    2. A hand crank radio, I have been putting off buying one, but it would be handy to listen to NPR and get current news reports. I do have a handheld scanner that picks up weather, police, air, sea, Short wave. that I use most often for weather reports.

Last edited by trooper dan; 01-26-2009 at 06:22 PM.

gues my roadtrippng is over. home in east texas where i think i will MAKE a home.

wow man, your doin it to it!!!

question: is the solar panel you use mounted on the camper shell or do you just lay it out in the day?

i have an 80 watter that i have not mounted on the motorhome yet.