Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EMP Protection

Quote Originally Posted by soberups View Post
    I have heard that the easiest way to make a Faraday box is to simply put whatever you want to protect inside of a microwave oven
    I like those big popcorn cans you can buy around the holidays. They're a bit lighter than an old microwave, and they hold more popcorn, too! After the popcorn is gone, put your stuff in cardboard boxes, put the boxes into the popcorn can, and put the lid on. Stick it on the shelf and you're all set.

As for autos, I'm trying to remember back, but didn't the electronic ignition system come out about 1973 or so? Cars older than that should be ok.

Lightbulb EMP considerations

My HAM gear and short wave sets are all tube type. The antennas are unplugged when I am not using the stuff.

Some little am radios and a police scanner are wrapped up in a plastic container wrapped in foil. These back up radios run right of 12V power.

It is unfortunate that solar panels will not survive an EMP. They are semiconductors. Keep at least one good size solar panel secured inside your metal tool shed for back up.

how would the old g i quinest hut .
    you know the little ova lmetal things used for storage and everything else. thay are made of all steel it should be a good filter .
    crime dont pay as well as politics
    A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE,

Default Points and condenser conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Christian for Israel View Post
    1974 was the year the first electronic ignition came out...of course simply converting a regular gas burner (carburated) back to a points and condenser type ignition would be easier than finding a running antique imho.
    This would be really good information to have when nec. Where could I find more about it?
    Thanks in advance.

some people argue that grounding a car will protect it from EMP, but I couldn't see how
    "If you can hear my voice, you are the Resistance" by John Connor

Would a gun safe or any safe work against an emp?

I wonder how effective the 'chickwire' that encases stucto homes would be against EMP?

I have a large metal workshop. Would that function as a Faraday cage if I were to place metal screening over the windows?
    I do have AC power running to it, so I figure that the panel box, breakers, and any equipment plugged in would get hit by the surge, but would that also affect any other electrical equipment stored inside if it were NOT plugged in?

Are batteries okay or do they need to be in a faraday cage?

I have nothing electronic, so I have nothing to worry about.
    What part of "Shall Not be Infringed" Don't they understand?